Sunday, October 24, 2010

How much pain can you endure?

Today, was a good day at church. The worship was fantastic and the sermon full of wisdom and good advice.  Sadly, we learned about 2 church families that had unexpected deaths this week. One of those families is people I know from choir. Over the time that I have known them, I have seen them endure pain and financial struggles that I wish no one would have to go through and now a death from a terrible accident.

I have never had to endure a lot of pain in my life. I had a wonderful family growing up and I was always able to achieve my goals with little dissapointment.  I lost an aunt that I loved dearly and I lost 2 babies. I never held my babies because my pregnancies ended early and suddenly but I still cried, my heart was still broken but in my sadness, I was still able to praise God and say, "Your will, not mine". I often wonder if I lost one of my boys or my husband, if I would still be able to praise God. I don't know and it scares me to even think about it.

Seeing this family go through all these difficult times is hard, I wonder ...how much pain they can endure? I don't question God... but I just don't understand why? I guess I will never know because I am not God, I don't know His will or the "Big Picture" in their lives. I do know that the only thing that has gotten this family through is their unwavering faith in God.

As I am writing this and reflecting on what was said in church this morning I guess I am answering my own question... Why? why do they have to endure all this pain? For the rest of us, to learn to be thankful for what we have, to remind us that God is in control, not us and at least for me to continue to try to stay close to the Lord.

When I was trying to put B to sleep this evening, he began to cry and throw a tantrum...I held him and tickled him and I thought to myself...Thank you Lord that I get to put my son to sleep and kiss him good night and sing him a lullaby. After he fell asleep I prayed for the family that won't be able to do that again and I prayed that we as a family don't let ourselves get so worked up about schedules and deadlines and every other thing that distracts us from what is truly important.

2 comments:

  1. A wonderful post. It is often very tough not to question God when bad things happen.

    My oldest, Ashley, was diagonsed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma on August 11th. She is in a battle for her life; thankfully, she is winning. However, she has had to endure four rounds of chemotheraphy, the loss of her hair (at 16 this is a HUGE deal), she cannot go to school-- something that she loves, and will start radiation on November 29th. Yes, I ask WHY all of the time. I cannot understand why a beautiful, WONDERFUL 16 year old child has to endure this. She NEVER gave us a bit of trouble above and beyond a normal teenage girl-- ie. 'mood swings'. But, even in all of this (and believe you me, I am ANGRY), we are fortunate. Her treatment is short, she is winning, she WILL be whole again soon.

    It also makes me sad and ask God why my 3 and 5 year old daughters (Ella and Riley) and 20 month old son have to see their sister sick. Why their worlds are turned upside down when mommy is in the hospital with Ash for 6 days (when mommy has never been gone for more than 24 hours), why they were afraid of their sister because she is bald, why they were afraid to take tylenol because I had to try to explain that their sister's hair fell out because of the medication she was taking..... try explaining that to three chidren under the age of 5 -- I am learing that the lesson for them may that of tolerence for those that are different then they are.... but REALLY couldn't God have found an easier way to teach this lesson????

    So, I can tell you from first hand experience. It is SO hard, and I DO question God, but I believe that there is a greater message and I am trying to believe in that lesson. We are a stronger, more loving, more appreciative, less materialistic, and happier family. We have reset our priorities. We have learned the hard way what really matters.

    Hug your kids tighter, laugh a little louder and love with your WHOLE heart. That is what I am trying to do.

    BUT, believe me, God and I are going to have a LONG discussion when we meet.....

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh My Christine!
    I am so so sorry to hear that! I can not even imagine...the pain that you are going through seeing your child so fragile, fighting for her life. I really don't like to question God but sometimes I just can't help myself. It doesn't mean that we love Him less we just....are human and wonder WHY? I too will have to sit by you in His presence and just say...Please tell me Lord...Why?
    I will be on my knees praying for your family for strength, courage, patience and for peace that surpasses all understanding.
    Hang tight sister, you will have an army standing by you in prayer in us. I love you and your girls and you WILL get through this.
    In His love and mine, L
    PLEASE, PLEASE keep me posted.

    ReplyDelete